The Los Angeles County and Orange County Departments of Public Health are cooperating with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to respond to recent reports of a novel coronavirus. Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses, some causing respiratory illness in people and others that circulate mostly among animals. Common symptoms in an infected person include fever, cough and shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.
Among commercial properties, custodial teams are working to increase public cleaning frequencies and address high traffic areas. Take the opportunity to review precautions circulated, and share with tenants and customers.
According to the CDC, there are several preventive actions you can take, including:
• Avoid close contact with individuals showing signs of illness.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth without first washing your hands.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
Additionally, to refrain from spreading illness to others, if you are sick you should:
• Stay home.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
More information and tips for dealing with Coronavirus have been provided by BOMA Interational, and can be found online through the Centers for Disease Control: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV
BOMA International: What You Need To Know